|LATEST NEWS ::
FROM ALDHAM VETERINARY CENTRE
** PLEASE NOTE LAST DAY FOR PRESCRIPTION ORDERS IS
DECEMBER 20TH TO GUARANTEE DELIVERY BEFORE CHRISTMAS - MANY THANKS
MEET THE TWO NEWEST MEMBERS OF OUR TEAM
STEPH - Steph began nursing in 1999 and has worked
in several practices across Essex, Suffolk and Surrey.
Steph has a special interest in rabbit care, husbandry and behaviour
and has put her knowledge to good use at both work and home taking
care of her own 2 rabbits Walnut and Hazel. She also has 2 cats
called Smudge and Minkie. Steph is currently also working towards
a diploma in Feline Care, Welfare and Behaviour.
In Steph's spare time she enjoys baking and sugar
craft. She has also taken up running and has completed her first
5k charity run.
ASHLEIGH - Ashleigh has 2 young children, Beau and
Blossom, a black lab called Bruce and a Jack Russell cross called
Mash plus 2 guinea pigs called Ghost and Peppa. Ashleigh has a diploma
in human biology and was a swimming teaching assistant and now works
at the front of shop on reception welcoming the Forge and Aldham
CHRISTMAS DANGERS - Christmas will soon be upon us
and while it is a time for family, fun and food, it can be a time
of danger for our little furry friends
Things to be aware of -
1) CHOCOLATE - chocolate contains theobromine which
is toxic to dogs. Ingestion of it can cause vomiting, diarrhoea,
seizures, kidney failure and if left unattended, even death.
2) CHRISTMAS PUDS/MINCE PIES - these contain grapes or dried fruit
which causes kidney failure
3) ONIONS/GARLIC/LEEKS/CHIVES - these all belong to the Allium family
of plants and cooked or uncooked are toxic
4) ALCOHOL - while we may like to drink and be merry, alcohol can
be fatal for dogs and cats - it can cause low blood sugar, low body
temperature, coma, tremors etc.
5) MACADAMIA NUTS - can cause raised body temp and lameness in back
6) XYLITOL - this is an artificial sweetener used more and more
in sweets, chewing gum , peanut butter etc. which causes liver damage,
low blood sugar
7) POINSETTIA/HOLLY BERRIES/MISTLETOE - if the leaves are licked
or ingested it can cause mouth irritation/vomiting/upset stomach
8) SILICA GEL - many presents come with silica gel pouches for freshness
these are low toxicity but can cause vomiting/diarrhoea
9) WRAPPING/DECORATIONS - these are sparkly and rustling and to
cats and dogs they are the best thing to play with but keep a close
eye that they don't swallow anything as this can cause vomiting/diarrhoea
or even blockages.
SO TO ALL OUR LOVELY CLIENTS AND OUR FURRY FRIENDS
WE WISH YOU A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND STAY SAFE