|LATEST NEWS ::
FROM ALDHAM VETERINARY CENTRE
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OUR LOVELY CLIENTS AND PETS
DANGERS OF ETHYLENE GLYCOL
As we leave Christmas and New Year we enter into January
which means colder wetter weather, so we are more inclined to make
sure our antifreeze is topped up in our cars.
But Ethylene Glycol is extremely TOXIC to cats.
Ethylene Glycol can be found in many motoring products such as screenwashes
and de icers. Cats are unlikely to drink neat antifreeze but they
get exposed by drinking from contaminated water on the roads or
by walking through spillages and then grooming themselves.
Within 30 mins it can start to take effect.
30 mins - 12 hours after ingestion symptoms can start such as vomiting,
tachycardia, elevated breathing.
12 - 24 hours symptoms become even more severe = heart failure,
hypertension, circulatory shock, renal failure, convulsions and
All in all - NASTY STUFF!
Due to severe consequences PREVENTION is the key so
any spills should be hosed away and diluted down or covered in mud/sand
to soak up spill and then shovelled somewhere safe away from pets.
(As a small side note antifreeze can be found in snow
NIGEL BACK TO SCHOOL !!
Nigel is off once again to enrich his brain cells
with all that is new in the Veterinary World.
He's off to the North American Veterinary Conference in Florida
to attend lots of lectures and to meet Doctor Dryen who is all knowledgeable
about fleas and prevention and the up to date treatments.
Have a good trip Nigel.